Sunday, December 7, 2014

HAT Austrian Artillery



HAT Austrian Artillery

Mrs. Kinch and I had a rare day off together today. We ate leftovers and sat on the couch and watched films and it was glorious. In between another project, I decided that I might do a job on some Austrian gunners as I thought that this might be a job that I could finish at a sitting.  



I found these images on the HAT website and they serve pretty well. I don't think I'll mess about too much with the detail of the cockade or the shoulder boards, but I managed to get the broad strokes done in a single sitting. I only need three gun crews for my Austrian army, so nine figures is plenty. 




Group shot

I sprayed these fellas with Army Painter brown spray and then threw a quick wash of Devlan mud over them. After that it was pretty much painting by numbers, the trick was just to make sure I was careful in applying my colour so I didn't have too many corrections to do. 

Man with stick

I have some 1848 Austrian gun crews that Krisztian did for me, based on Hat Swedish figures, but the uniform changes between 1815 and 1848, but I can use the guns interchangeably.   These fellows are almost done, needing I think one movies worth of time to finish them off. 



Man with other stick

None of these are going to win any beauty pageants, but they are perfectly workmanlike figures with a perfectly workmanlike paint job.  I wanted to pick something small as with another four  assignments due by the 14th, I won't have time to devote to anything more complicated. 



Man with yet another stick (aka a rammer)

I'll post pictures once I've finished them off as I've made a hole in another painting project that is slowly going ahead. And more on that anon. 











12 comments:

  1. I'm in the throes of putting together some napoleonic artillery, myself - the ones picked up at a bring and buy several weeks back. I've been off and on concerned about the ... erm ... stick, a.k.a the slow match holder. I've been thinking of winding lengths of cotton around them better to represent the actual slow match. If the guns were made with some sort of flintlock arrangement, perhaps the 'stick' could be a lanyard...?

    As my upcoming BB4ST posting on artillery is wanting its accompanying pictures, perhaps I could show my attempt therein...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I generally have to "soldier proof" my figures as they tend to be fairly roughly handled during games.

      I saw your batteries. They look very fine.

      Delete
  2. Would you consider flocked or green painted bases to offset the brown, or would that be unspeakable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - they do need some work in that respect. I stick to a house style for basing as it makes it easier tie figures from different manufacturers and painters together.

      Delete
  3. The first 'man with stick' - methinks stick should be a handspike but half of it is gone (faulty mold?). If so, caption should read, 'man with broken stick'(?) BTW, I hate men with handspikes. Often wonder if I should collect some together and construct a golf vignette. That might be good. A sort of Ryder Cup with teams picked from Napoleonic Armies. Or even Hockey! Now that ....

    Davy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Napoleonic hockey team might be just the thing for a War of 1812 set up....

      Delete
  4. Two important things:
    First - and most important - may you and the Mrs. have a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season;
    Second, the gunners are very nice. I frequently wold paint a bit of yellow or red on the tip of the "stick" to represent the fact that it was a slow burning match. But they all look pretty nice without any additional work. Nice job.
    Jerry
    A/K/A The Celtic Curmudgeon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jerry. Mrs. Kinch sends her best.

      Delete
  5. Nice figures, nothing wrong with them at all.
    You certainly drink a lot of wine. Not that I'm judging. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - but they are only really half finished.

      As for the amount of wine. I'll plead the privilege against self incrimination.

      Delete