Saturday, March 2, 2013

Old Stuff Day

New life in something old


This is taken from Peter over at the Single Handed Admiral, who got it by way of Bleaseworld. 

"On this day, each blogger can go through their history and find posts that they’d like to shake the dust off and present again to the community at large. Some suggestions for content that would be good to post: 

* Posts that you considered special that didn’t receive as much attention as you thought they deserved
* Content that people liked in the past, but haven’t seen recently 
* Posts you might have created before your site received much traffic, and now deserve to be reshown
* Or any content you’re particularly proud of!"



Posts that didn't get as much attention as they deserved

Teenage Kicks was a piece I wrote that was part mediation on life, part kit review and part comic turn. It hasn't received many page views, but I thought it was rather good. 

Gangster Squad was a movie review I wrote recently and I actually think I made a decent argument. Not one that attracted many page views though. 

Staff Corps Dragoons is a post about an unusual unit I added to my wargames army. There aren't too many Staff Corps Dragoons kicking around in Peninsular British armies and I think Mark did a good job on them. 


Posts that people have liked in the past. 


Spanish infantry from Falcata and Hat, these were some of the first figures Krisztian painted for me and they are the single most viewed post on the blog. 

Airfix Waterloo Farmhouse, this was a series of work in progress shots from Capability Savages work on the classic model kit. Again stealing another man's glory and the second most popular post on the blog. 

Making the most of model trees is the third most popular blog post and the only one of the top three that is actually based on my own work!


Posts that I'm proud of

The March to the Boyne, this is hands down the post I'm proudest of. I was very happy with how it went and it was a real achievement for two not particularly athletic chaps. 

Happy New Year! was a post featuring a 120mm drummer that I painted for a family member. It's still the best piece of painting I've ever done. It also features Cousin Basil. 

One of the things that I'm proudest about my blog is that while I do post about modelling and painting and all that flapdoodle, I actually manage to post about games played. I know far too many wargamers who only get in a dozen games a year, I was one of them for too long. However, Peninsular Battles is a record of a succession of games actually played. 






3 comments:

  1. Don't worry about numbers of games played - my 2012 total was - well, actually 1 solo. I've done about half a game this year, so you never know....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I rather look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your 'Teenage kicks', and now I'm glad I didn't discover 'proper' wargaming until well into my 20s. From age 11, Chess had been the substitute (though engaging enough in its own right that I play online). So although my teens were an age of dull horror and mild rage (just like everyone else's) by the time I started building Airfix kits, I could even get the wheels of the 6pr to turn, yet stay on.

    Mind you, I still have the faint scar where I shoved a scalpel blade into the joint of my left thumb. I don't faint at the sight of my own blood, however copious (when I was about six I was forever stubbing my toes against the most trivial irregularities of ground - "Don't bleed on the carpet!!"), but that one did have me feeling a bit dizzy for a few moments...

    And, yep, I'm one of them there dozen-a-year dudes... :-(

    ReplyDelete