Monday, February 4, 2013

Russian Infantry


With the impressive strides being made in the Russian cavalry lines, it's time to get weaving on the Russian infantry. These are some Hinton Hunt castings that I got from Old John. They have a certain delicate charm about them and I've trimmed the plumes so that they can be used as regular infantry, rather than Guards or Grenadiers. 


These I've based on some custom infantry bases made for me by Jim over at Products for Wargamers. Good price, good service, heartily recommended all around. I based them up this morning when I had twenty minutes to spare before going to work. The thing about these units is that under the new Russian rules, they'll be a three strength to the French four, but a certain number of units may be upgraded before the battle. This means that I'll have to find some drummers from somewhere, but I've yet to put my great mind to that one. 



A Hinton Hunt Russian officer leading the charge. I'm hoping to find a suitable drummer or perhaps an Ensign to accompany him, but we'll see. I have a collection of painted Russian troops to base up, so I may have some spares. 


6 comments:

  1. Dear Conrad,

    Have you considered adding a mounted officer to your regiments? It could be used as a visual marker as to which of your units have increased moral/combat ability. A mounted officer indicates enhanced abilities, a foot officer, less so.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see your point - but I use mounted officers to represent generals, so it would get rather confusing.

      Delete
  2. They have a winsome, old-school quality to them, which I quite like, though they way the hold their muskets so low on their bodies is a tad odd. Looking forward to seeing them painted - were green coats still the standard for the Russian army in this period?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were Padre - though I've been concentrating on the Peninsula for so long I've very little idea how they fought. I hope to show some painted examples before too long.

      Delete